Eastern Box Turtle Eggs

Discussion in 'Reptile and Amphibians' started by Daemoniac, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Newbie

Need Help,
    Have hatched snake and turtle eggs before, but have never experienced them colapsing approx. 2 wks before they expected hatch date, the eggs have started to cave in, and two have split open, I have peeked inside and the baby turtles inside are still alive, but obviously too small to survive on their own, not to mention the fact they are still attached to the yoke sach. I have never incubated box turtle eggs before, is this normal. So far I have just kept them in a plastic shoebox, buried half way in vermiculite, kept them moist, and in a warm dark place approx. 75 deg. +/- 1 deg. Anyway if anyone has any comments or advice, I would surely appreciate it!

Thanks AL

2. Bob

Bob Administrator Staff Member

I've seen them colapse before and have latter hatched ok.The splitting is a problem they will dry out. Let us know

Bob
    Administrator
    Petswarehouse.com

3. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Newbie

Dear Bob,
    Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I have disguarded the two eggs that split open for the baby turtles inside died within a day or so, but I still have 3 left, which are the least collapsed and I can actually see the little turtles shells through the eggs shell, so I am expecting them to hatch very soon. Thanks for the advice!

Sincerely,
    Dr. AL