Serpae Tetras, Male or Female?

Discussion in 'South American Cichlid Forums Neotropical' started by Guest, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I have two Serpae tetras and I was wondering how to tell them apart, male or female. I wanted to breed them, but have had them for 2-3 months with no eggs so I must have the same gender, but in order for me to purchase a few more, I need to know how to tell them apart.

------------------
    April Wall
    JR Moderator of Freshwater Fish

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Females are slightly larger and wider.

------------------
    Joe Hackman
    Moderator - Freshwater Fish Forum
    My Tropical Fish Page

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks! I think they're females.

------------------
    April Wall

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ok, I have 2 questions on serpae tetras. Are they good for community tanks or are they nippy like tiger barbs? Are they easy to breed? Thanks!

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I have two in a community tank, and have seen small parts missing from tails like the size of the line of the letter "l". Nothing like Tiger Barbs. I do not know how they breed {easy, hard}, I first wanted to know how to tell male from female. I do, however, know they are egg layers/scatterers.

------------------
    April Wall

6. Guest

Guest Guest

The reason I ask about all this is because these were my first fish and I couldn't remember their behavior. I really remember that I liked them a lot. If I got like 5 of them would they be ok in the tank. My tank is extremely peaceful though. Thanks!

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I think so. I want to add about 2 or 3 more to my tank and about 4 neon tetras. If my mom will take me to the pet store any time soon.

------------------
    April Wall

8. Guest

Guest Guest

I have five hi fin serpae tetras in my tank. They are with a bunch of aggressive and no aggressive fish. They all seem to be getting along good. I've never seen eggs, I'm assuming that they get eaten as fast as they are layed.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I have just recently come across regular serpae tetra's. If you see Hi Finned ones, they are a much prettier fish. Long flowing fins. I haven't seen them to be agressive. I have five.